Monday, December 7, 2009

Dog of a night

I can't believe I wrote an epic blogpost about my weekend...and forgot to tell you the funniest bit!

So on Saturday night, we were heading in the car to go to my cousin Laura's engagement party. Now, as I mentioned in the last post, I was staying at my cousin Leah's place that night (in order to down some champers to toast the bride to be - felt it was my duty as a good cousin). Now as some of you know, I have two pet pomeranians. Felix, my 'little man', who is a toy pom and very quiet, shy, and well behaved; and Trixie...an entity unto herself! Trixie is 6kg (rather decent size for a pom) while Felix is a mere 2kg on a fat day...so you can guess who wears the pants. Not to mention Trixie has epilepsy, and canine ADHD (no I am not joking - this has actually been diagnosed). Now for those who don't know much about dogs, canine epilepsy is rather like human epilepsy. Sufferers have seizures. Some are lucky enough to have them very infrequently, requiring no regular medication. Others, like Trixie, require to be treated by regular medication. Trixie has to have tablets morning and night time, and if she misses a dose, she generally has a fit. The medication for epilepsy is basically a barbiturate - you know, same family of drugs as things such as morphine etc...which under normal circumstances make one drowsy...unless you have ADHD, of course. When you have ADHD, the opposite tends to happen. And ADHD meds interfere with the epileptic treatment...so basically I have one fricken crazy dog! But she is very funny...big personality!

Anyway back to the story.

So I am going to be away overnight, which means the puppies have to go to Grandma's house (my parents' place) for a sleep over with their cousins (yes I know that technically doesn't work but I'm telling the story here!) This is so that Trix gets her meds at night and again in the morning.
Anyway back to the car trip.

There we are in the car having a roadie* when I get a call from my mum. Conversation:

Mum: "How stupid do you think your mother could possibly be?"
Me: "Um...." (never know what to say in times like this...is it a rhetorical question? Is she trying to trick me?) "what have you done??"
Mum: "Well, I was standing at the sink getting Trixie's tablet out. I had just poured myself a glass of water. So I walk outside and go to give her the tablet...and realise I'm no longer holding it..."
Me: imagining where this is going, trying really hard not to laugh...
Mum: "and then I realise that I have swallowed her tablet..."
Me: REALLY trying hard not to laugh
silence
Me: - bursts out laughing - "THAT IS FUCKING GOLD!!!"

Anyway she called Poisons Information who told her not to drink alcohol and make sure someone checked on her through the night to make sure she was still breathing...my take on it was that Trixie is like 6kg...if she can handle a barbiturate and be bouncing off the walls, mum was going to be fine.

Needless to say she was the butt of a lot of dog related jokes that night at dinner...

*this bit might have been slightly embellished for the sake of the story...

4 comments:

  1. he he..oh dear. I hate it when you just go into auto pilot. I did that myself once. not with dog meds mind you. My antidepressants/anxiety meds are supposed to be taken at night and for some reason I took one in the morning when I was taking my supps. Spent five hours at work just staring at the computer screen and trying not to nod off. But I was very calm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god!! Did she have any interesting effects??
    LOL
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I don't think many people can go into THAT kind of auto pilot - it's a pretty special place to be!! LOL
    I think any side effects she might have had were more psychological as she knew she had taken them...she said something about tingling in the face but I googled it and that didn't come up in the common side effects ;)
    I can just imagine how well she's going to go next week with the twice daily medications for Trix while I'm down in Melbourne!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha.. LOL.. im sure your mom would have had the most memorable 'oops' in a really long time ;). you guys must have had soo much fun haha..

    ReplyDelete