Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dust storms and chocolate pizzas



For those who live in Sydney, after today I am sure the above picture is reminiscent of what you woke up to this morning. I reluctantly dragged my sorry, tired ass out of bed at 5.20 this morning after not very much sleep, as I had a 6.15am Spin class to teach. I like to sleep at night with the blinds open a little so that in the morning the light comes through and I am more likely to get myself out of bed to do my pre-breakfast cardio. Bleary eyed I immediately took myself to the bathroom (am water loading ATM so the second I move at any given time of the day, let alone wake up, I am pretty much busting to go...more on that later) and then made my way back to the bedroom to get dressed into my workout gear. That's when I realised an eerie orange glow coming from the other side of my window. My first thought was that my neighbour's house was on fire so I immediately went to the window to investigate...only to find that the entire sky was almost a fluorescent shade of orange. WEIRD. Still half asleep I finished doing what I needed to do and jumped in my car to get to work. That's when it hit me - had I died overnight and this was some strange initiation into the afterlife? Had the world ended while I was asleep? It was very creepy - the only time I remember ever seeing the sky look so spooky was Christmas day 2001 when the massive bushfires had set the sky into various shades of pink and orange. Then I got this strange feeling that the gym was going to be like a ghost town this morning and that no one would front for Spin class.

So I rock up to the gym and was half wrong, half right. The wrong bit refers to me either dying or the world having ended. Was not on the money with either of those. BUT I was spot on with the other stuff. Gym was near empty, and no one for Spin. Hmmph. Oh well did my own stuff instead. Jumped on the cross trainer and did 30min of hardcore intervals, 30sec sprint : 30 second recovery. Job done. Sweating like a pig (do pigs even sweat? not sure how many people have actually tested that theory? If any of you guys have, feel free to let me know via comments). Followed the cross trainer up with 15min intervals on the treadmill. STUFFED, I went home. Very sleepy due to lack of carbs. More on this later. Had brekkie then needed a power nap (woo hoo, got a whole 15mins in) before heading off to the gym to train legs. Good session, about an hours worth...and only followed up with 15min on the bike. I was seriously too weak to do any more than that.

SO about the water loading and carb depletion.

I am doing a trial comp week prep this week. As in pretending that I am doing the INBA NSW this Sunday (I'm not). So last week I cut carbs right down to just my oats in the morning and other than that, veggies. This week there are no oats. Just veggies. Which in my books don't count as carbs. They're not real carbs. And they certainly don't give me energy, or even keep me in a state where I can even pretend I feel human. I don't feel human - not even close. Fuck knows how I have managed to train at all this week, let alone work, drive, or leave the house. I can barely remember where I freakin live this week!! lol

I can't believe I forgot how shitty one feels during depletion week. Hmmm I remember now!! And remember that I have on 3 occasions fallen asleep whilst training in past comp seasons, in between sets, in the middle of the gym. When I have told that story to others, I always think that it really isnt that bad. Oh yes it fucking is!! I was talking to my mate, Strong Bitch, tonight - and she gave me a great analogy - that depletion week is like the stories on childbirth - that once it's over you forget the pain!! lol I think that's spot on!! hehe

So anyway I am carb depleting and today hit the worst of it, day 3 of no carbs, and leg day. Leg day is NOT a good day for me on no carbs. Given I wussed out on the cardio post-training (well cut it short at 15 mins) I promised myself I would stay back after work and do a bit more to make up for it. Well after work came (9pm tonight) and you know what? NO FUCKING WAY was I staying back to do cardio. I don't even LIKE cardio. I do, however, LIKE sleep!! So sleep wins :)

And while I do that tonight, this is what I will be dreaming about...


For those who haven't had the pleasure...this my friends is a delish chocolate pizza from one of my favourite fine dining venues...the house of MAX BRENNER... 4 and a half weeks baby!!!

2 comments:

  1. haha..there's another comparison with regards to childbirth. You reckon you fell asleep between sets..I was on pethadine during my daughters birth and kept falling asleep between contractions! Then they are all telling me to push and I'm like "fuck off I'm sleeping!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMFG you are a cracker Frankie!! haha THAT, my friend is something I would do - and then get the shits when they were trying to wake me up...I mean HOW DARE THEY!!! haha

    ReplyDelete