Today marks 13 weeks til the IFBB Australasians.
I woke up this morning and my first thought was that I did not want to do my early morning cardio. Not that I didn't want to do it 'today'. That I didn't want to do it two to three times a day for the next 17 weeks (the last comp I was planning to do for the season, INBA Sydney titles, is 17 weeks away today).
So I sat and contemplated.
And I spoke to one of my girlfriends, a fellow competitor, who I knew would not try to sway me either way, but who I knew would listen and help me see clarity.
And I decided that I won't be doing the comps. After 3 years straight of competing, both my body and my mind need a break from it. All the strict dieting and the rigorous training regime eventually takes it's toll and I just need a rest from it for a bit. I haven't decided how long - I may do the Sept/Oct comps, I may take the entire year off - that's a decision I'm not in any rush to make.
So I called Coach (Mike) and told him my decision. Mike is great in that he has never tried to sway me either way but he did say after I told him that he thought it was a good idea. So we will be meeting this week to work out an off season plan - something I have not had before as I haven't really had a proper off season (aside from 6-8 weeks between comp seasons, which isn't really that long). I am still planning on keeping up the training, but not at pre-comp level, and am really looking forward to having some fun and mixing stuff up, like doing some swimming or kickboxing, or maybe even some crossfit as well as my weights.
And I know I have made the right decision because I am actually really happy with it.
SO after that call, I went and trained - with no expectations of myself - and smashed out an awesome quads session. I did:
3 x 15 hack squats
4 x 15 squats
5 x 20 leg extensions
6 x 15 leg press
and followed this with 20 mins bike/x-trainer. I also went for a walk this evening "just because i wanted to", not because I had to - and enjoyed it.
Other than that I don't have much to report about the weekend. I worked Friday morning then again Friday night; all day Saturday; then today just trained and bummed around watching Foxtel. Was tempted to go to the beach since it was a ripper of a day weather wise but still recovering from last week's sunburn efforts lol, combined with the fact I was very tired and feeling like being a lazy slob most of today ;) Need those days every once in a while!
Anyway that's me in a nutshell. Hopefully a more exciting week for you next week to report about. So til next time...train hard and be good. Vic x
Good for you girl. You gotta do what is best for you and that means listening to your mind AND body. I know I haven't been competing for as long as you and I'm just a baby, but I totally understand your decision :)
ReplyDeletecan't wait to hear about the new and fun things you are going to try :)
I made exactly the same decision as you girl, and its feels really nice to train for once without the pressure of comp on your shoulders. As you know it takes 150% committment to strutt your stuff on stage, so enjoy your 'off season', comps will always be there to do. You'll know when its time again to pull out your stripper heels =)
ReplyDelete