Well one must have, because I woke up this morning feeling like I had been run over by one. Quite literally. I got up at 5.45am to go and get a pre-brekkie cardio session in, and initially I just felt like my muscles were heavy - which I put down to the extreme training I had done in the 72 hours prior, particularly in the lower body area. By the time I got my sorry ass to the gym I was starting to think that this might actually be the start of a bug of some kind rather than a mega case of DOMS as initially thought. I did 40mins total - which I struggled through - at a very low intensity, which was all I could manage. There was not going to be any hardcore intervals today, let me tell you.
By the time I had finished training and gotten home for my carbless breakfast (it's a weight-free day today which means also carb free) the aches had spread to my joints as well, and within an hour it even felt like my organs were inflamed (if that is possible!?!)
I dragged my butt to my first shift (Wednesdays is two shift day - one at one gym, then an hour after finishing there start at the other one) heavily dosed up on Panadol to get rid of the hot/cold flushes I was having (yep we is def gettin sick), got through the shift - just - and then took myself off to the second gym. Let me tell you not much got done today....was even feeling too weak to pick weights up off the floor, and stuggled to put things like 10kg plates away.
This is not good peoples!! lol
Am hoping it subsides a little with a good nights sleep tonight, as it's chest / triceps day tomorrow and I am not the type to skip training (prob not always so good - when I was prepping for my 1st comp I actually trained through glandular fever...which as a PT I know is insane but when it comes to myself I don't always find it easy to follow my own advice...)
I would actually like to put the question out there for other competitors - what are you guys like when you are not feeling 100% ? Do you push through and train anyway or do you listen to your body? I know what the right answer is but I want to know what you guys actually do yourselves - am I the only one that finds taking time off when not well hard to accept??
I would love to hear from others (yes once again this is about the mental headspace that us figure/bb chicks get into from time to time lol)
Vic xx
Hi Chicky... My coach's rule of thumb is if it is above the neck (head cold, runny nose, etc.) then still train... light cardio and longer rests between sets, but if it's below the neck (body aches, fluey feeling, etc) then no training. In the leadup to a comp, I am one of those crazy ones that train anyway and actually need to be sent home and banned from the gym... LOL!! I hope you are feeling better soon xxx
ReplyDelete