BAD MUM!! Me, that is. Not that I have human children, I have 2 gorgeous lil puppy dogs. Who can't talk, but if they did, they'd be telling you what a bad mum I have been for the last couple of weeks.
So I have 2 little furball babies, both pomeranians. Felix is 5 years old and is a toy pom, so is very small (as in 2kg, wringing wet). He is very timid, painfully shy at times. But he is gorgeous, the sweetest little doggy in the world. In 2005 I was working in Canberra and Felix (who was an only child at the time) used to make the Sydney-Canberra drive with me every Sunday night. I remember once I got so sick with bronchitis while I was down there, that I made myself a bed on the loungeroom floor - doona underneath me and a doona on top - right in front of the big-ass built in heater, and in prime TV watching position. Felix had a little doggy matress in the loungeroom that he used to love snuggling on when we were watching TV. The matress had a little blanket on it. Felix also had this little teddy that I bought him when he was a puppy, and he used to carry it around in his mouth, like everywhere. He would bring it to bed at night (he used to sleep on my bed with me). Anyway there I was, pretty sick, coughing my guts up (pretty much like this week, really) lying on my new-made loungeroom floor bed. Felix did the cutest little thing the day I made that bed - he wandered over to his little matress, picked up his blanket in his mouth, dragged it over and put it on the pillow next to my head. Then he went back to his matress, picked up his little teddy bear in his mouth and dragged it over to his blanket. And he perched himself right next to me, and stayed there the rest of the week, like he was looking after me. That's the kind of cuteness I am talking!
Trixie on the other hand, well - if Felix was the chalk, she'd be the cheese. She is 4 years and 2 weeks old, and is very very cheeky. I think I have mentioned previously, she has epilepsy and ADHD. Interesting combo, especially seeing as her eplileptic meds make her ADHD worse - she is a bundle of energy, and then some. Very cheeky but also very, very cute. Example of cheekiness - she has taught herself to take Felix's collar off. Not by pulling it over his head. Not by ripping it off from his neck. She has actually taken the time to learn how to unbuckle his collar and take it off neatly. How do dogs even do that? I have trouble doing it when I am giving him a bath!! And it wouldn't normally be a problem, seeing as normally they are at home. But she managed to do it once on the same day that Felix discovered he was small enough to fit in a miniscule gap under the fence and take himself for a walk, and get lost, when I wasn't at home. So of course when I returned, I had no idea how long he'd been gone for - and it was also a public holiday so I couldn't even call the local vets or shelters!!
Anyway back to the story. 2 weeks ago today I had an epiphany. It was a Monday. Trixie's 4th birthday was on the Saturday that had just passed. And I forgot it. I know many of you will find this insignificant but to me, it is a big deal!! These are my children (and at this rate the only form of children I'm likely to have!!) and I have NEVER forgotten either of their birthdays!! Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people that throw my dogs a birthday party (could be fun though?) or lashes out and buys diamonte-studded collars, or includes them in my will, leaving them all my imaginary fortunes. But I like to buy them a new toy or new coat or something to signify that it's their birthday. Anyway I forgot. And I think she knew I forgot. She is a very clever dog after all. She had her first seizure in ages on the Sunday and it makes me wonder...was she punishing me??
Anyway so this week the bad mother thing has continued. As you guys will know I have been sick for the past week (still there, we have a chest infection now...FUCK OFF ALREADY, GERMS!!) Well last night Miss Trixie started with the sneezing. At first it's very cute. Seventeen sneezes in a row later...not so cute. I am starting to feel bad. And now Felix has started!!! I am very tempted to crush up my antibiotics and mix them into their food!! (OK maybe not). So now my house is full of bloody flugies. Mine and canine.
Anyway back to the point. Hmm actually I am not sure there is a point. Just that I feel bad about my babies being sick now too - my house is in bloody quarantine and we are all sharing doona space and giving the dvd player a better run than it's had in AGES. Speaking of which, don't rent 'Confessions of a Shopaholic'. It sucks.
Ok got some more movies to watch. Adios amigos.
Til next time, continue training hard for me (7th day people, I am gonna turn into marshmallow) and be good.
Vic x
See I totally relate, I hate it when we miss our furkids birthdays! Hell mine are big black dobermanns and are curretnly curled on the sofas wearing their pyjamas cause its chilly LOL so you are not the only one who think of them as children, in fact sometimes my daughter hints that they are more of my kids than her! I tell her its because I can always lock them outside when the are bad and nobody can call the cops on me LOL We even make up fresh raw food for them every night with special vitamins, yoghurts and greens we buy only for them from human grade produce - Yep I totally relate LOL
ReplyDeleteVicki that is just so funny, only because my mums dog has her teddy and 'blankie' and sleeps on mums bed. She is foxy cross and just a delightful dog. Must hve both ted & blankie to go to bed, my mum says 'bedtime' and she gathers her stuff and off she goes. Dogs are wonderful creatures they love unconditionally. Yes it hurts when they aren't well. Hopefully your little furballs will be feeling better soon, oh and you ofcourse!
ReplyDeleteCath - glad you understand. They really are like children. I often make them the food I am having too cos Trix had pancreatitis earlier in the year and is now on a lifelong low-fat diet so they may as well have what I'm having - Lord knows it's cheaper than low-fat dog food!! hehe
ReplyDeleteEsme - I forgot to mention - while 'blankie' still exists, that teddy is long gone. Within about 3 minutes of bringing Trixie home for the first time it was reduced to shredded material and stuffing...all over the house...