
Aah yes - you are seeing correct. A red belly black fucker sliding across my staircase, from one side of a step to the other, and into the scrub on the other side. Now not sure if I mentioned it before but my stairs (yes, they are MINE) are in kind of bushland. Not thick bushland where you would expect to see a fricken killer snake, it is like suburban bushland, ie an estate that is about 15 years old and not fully developed yet. I grew up in this area and not once in my time here have I ever even heard of a snake in the area!?! WTF!!
Anyway having NO idea where the snake went (didn't make a peep so couldn't locate it via sound) I didn't know if it was safe to come back down the stairs. And had no idea what happened if you continued along the path at the top of the stairs - I had always assumed it lead straight to a street as you sometimes (very rarely) get people coming down or up the stairs...and they have to lead somewhere, right? Well I wasn't going to risk going back down as I didn't have my mobile on me and imagine getting bitten with no way of calling someone...I did contemplate it though as I REALLY wanted my cordial...but decided to walk to the top and find my way home. Top of stairs reached...path reached and followed a short distance...no street in sight and more bushland ahead - which just freaked me out cos then I kept thinking about the fact there was likely to be more snakes in there...I had to keep telling myself that people walk through there EVERY day quite safely, and that of all the many million times I have done stair runs there (hell I have even taken clients there for stair runs!) this was the first time I had seen a snake. Anyway needless to say I will be finding a new set of stairs *pronto*.
Anyway to cut a long story short I found my way home. I already have severe cramps in my quads (OUCH!!) and great idea to do running when you aren't better yet, Einstein - my sinus cavities now feel like exploding!! Oh well.
On that note I better get myself showered and off to work. So til next time, train hard, avoid deadly snakes, and be good.
Vic x
Urghhhhh, YUK!!!
ReplyDeleteI HATE SNAKES Vicki! Sounds like you handled the situation very calmly, I would've just lost it!
Mind you, having lived in the Blue Mountains for 17 years, I have only ever seen one (it also happened to be a red belly black), it slithered along my fence as I was hanging out washing...long story, but I still have nightmares about it.
Ugly buggers, aren't they?
xxx
Glad you are feeling better and getting up and around!
ReplyDeleteI live in the tropics so, we see snakes often...they are generally more fearful of humans than humans are of them ( I did not grow up in the tropics....I'm a bloody yank! LOL)...they tend to scatter from noisy environments so he probably won't hang at the park stairs for long :-)
Ewwwwwwwww I hate snakes so much!! well actually I am totally fasinated by them, but scared shitless at the thought of their fangs sinking into my body!
ReplyDeleteGood to see that you are improving my dear!! easy does it. xxx
Hi ladies!
ReplyDeleteSandra - just so you know I was losing it...but 'on the inside'!!!
Raechelle - I think mostly it caught me by surprise - as mentioned I have never seen one around here, nor do I ever hear of others in the neighbourhood seeing them.
Tara - I am pretty intrigued by them too,
I actually very nearly bought a snake of my own a few years ago, a diamond python (I had even named him George and got my reptile keeper's licence) but my mum talked me out of it. I have no qualms about domestic snakes as pets but in the wild you don't know how each snake is going to react to you. And thank you - it's nice to feel a little more human!! Back into the weights room come Monday ;)